Eden Tigers Brand Sun

Tigers narrow lose to Tathra

August 2nd 2009

The challenge for the Eden Tigers to win a fourth consecutive title was brought into sharp focus following their loss to Tathra in a controversial match at George Brown Oval last Sunday. The task is simple. They must win their next four games starting with next weeks match against Bega at Bega.
The Tigers started with more intensity than they have shown all season in Sundays clash with Tathra and looked to be getting on top in the clash of the forwards until Tathra received a penalty for offside and then another after a quick tap from the restart and Simon Marshall scooted over for the first try to take a 4-0 lead. From the restart Tathra made one hit up before the exact same thing happened- A penalty followed by another penalty and Tathra scored another try, this time after what appeared to be a blatant double movement that had sections of the large crowd vocalising their disbelief at what they thought were some very contentious rulings.
After the visitors had held possession for 7 consecutive sets which included four penalties and two tries the Tigers finally got some possession and Mick Wykes scampered over for a good Eden try out wide to get Eden on the board at 10-4. Suddenly Eden were back in the game and it was the Tigers' turn to get the double penalty gift for offside play, however a promising opportunity was lost when first an Eden player was held up over the line and then a loose pass went into touch.
Both sides were completing their sets and getting to kicks until Tathra received another controversial penalty. Eden's Matt Bell kicked through but the kick appeared to have been touched by a defender, however when an Eden player regained possession Eden were penalised for offside. Controversy continued when Tathra appeared to have been given 7 tackles in a set, then a penalty which puzzled many observers. With both sides turning over possession leading up to the break the game was deadlocked when Dane Bamblett steamed across the line and Todd Bolton converted.

Dane Bamblett burrows his way over for a try
Tathra showed great spirit to hold out the marauding Tigers who were threatening to cross again until a loose pass went into touch. Tathra receives another penalty for offside from the resulting scrum and tathra's livewire hooker Tom Prior split the defence and sprinted 60 metres to score under the posts and put Tathra in the lead at half time 16-10.
The second half began with both sides completing their sets until Tathra received their next penalty for a high tackle.Eden received a rare penalty shortly after and appeared to have scored a try, however the ball was adjudged to have been lost over the line, again much to the dismay of the adjacent Eden supporters.The Tigers refused to give in , and when young Corey Stewart threw a perfect pass to Mick gerke to score under the posts the scores were level again.
Neil Baker on the burst about to get the ball from Brad Chatfield
Eden seemed to have the momentum to go on and win the match , but Tathra's good defence continued to frustrate the Tigers. Three more penalties to Tathra and two kicks out on the full by the home side also didn't help. It was the Tigers turn to defend with desperation but eventually the defence cracked and Matt Heffernan crossed out wide for Tathra to take a 20-16 lead with about eight minutes to go. Disaster struck when a well placed kick saw eden's dynamic Tom Bell overbalance and put a foot into touch, and when Tathra went on the attack they were awarded another penalty in front of the posts which Josh Finucane calmly potted to extend the lead. Tathra then received a penalty straight after the kickoff and Captain Coach Gerke was sin binned for ten minutes after expressing his frustration to the referee, and the final whistle sounded with Tathra victorious 22-16.
In a very exciting match every Eden player deserves credit for the desire and intensity they showed. CC Mick Gerke, Rob Horton, Billy Michelin and Neil Baker were inspirational up front. Dane Bamblett, Brad Chatfield , Mick Wykes and Tom Bell were outstanding as wereTodd Boltonand Ian Smith.
This side is still capable of winning the Premiership but will need to avoid the ire of the referees after again being on the wrong end of a lopsided penalty count to the tune of 13-3.We also need to concentrate on grounding the ball after having two tries disallowed.
Next week's game at Bega is a must win game, so all Tigers supporters are urged to get there to support the boys in their drive to acieve a fourth consecutive premiership.