Eden Tigers Brand Sun

Tiger's Glory run is over

August 16th 2009

Defending Premiers the Eden Tigers have reached the end of their period of domination in Group 16 Rugby League. Having won the last three Premierships, the Tigers were defeated in the elimination Semi Final at Cooma by the Cooma Stallions.
The game started brightly for the Tigers with two early completions before Eden received a penalty and Brad Chatfield burst over off a great Scott Jackson pass, and with the Todd Bolton conversion the tigers led six nil. Eden completed again from the next set, and then when Cooma attempted to kick at the end of their next set the evergreen neil baker charged down the kick, regathered and sprinted 50 m downfield to score. Bolton's conversion was on the mark again and the Tigers were looking good at 12-0.
When play resumed a Cooma penalty put them on the attack and Matt Sylvester ended the movement with a good try in the corner which was unconverted.
The first half developed into something resembling trench warfare , with bith sides grinding upfield looking for territorial advantage, and then the opposition doing likewise and grinding back downfield again. There were kicks, dropped balls, penalties, big hits, strong runs ..it was typical semi final football. Eden had a couple of excellent opportunities but were unable to convert them into points which was vital with the strong wind at their backs. Cooma received a couple of penalties late in the half but were unable to capitalise, and with seconds to go Eden received a penalty 37 metres out and just 3 metres in from touch. Todd Bolton nominated to kick for goal and his kick never looked like missing, and at half time Eden led 14-4.
Many in the crowd doubted that the Eden lead was sufficient with the strong wind favouring the home side after the break, and so it ultimately proved. Upon resumption the game stayed tight. Cooma received three more penalties but the scorers were uninvolved until about the 20 minute mark when Cooma's Ty Fallon scooted over for a converted try. Shortly after Cooma received another two consecutive penalties and then scored a try. And then another try to Steve Dunn put the result beyond doubt. A late consolation try was scored by Scott Jackson, but the match was lost and the season finished for the plucky but unlucky Tigers. Once again the penalty count was lopsided against the Tigers- this time 10-3. Congratulations to all the players on a great effort this season.