Eden Tigers Brand Sun

Tigers tame gutsy Sharks

July 4th 2010 by Dave Evelyn

The Eden Tigers have put the rest of the teams in the group 16 premiership on notice that they are a force to be reckoned with after their third successive victory in Sunday's impressive display against the Moruya Sharks. The Sharks came into the game slightly depleted due to injuries, while the Tigers were close to full strength. And it was the power and strength of experienced campaigner Neil Baker that silenced the Moruya supporters early in the game, scoring the first two tries with well executed attack down the left flank.
Shortly after Todd Bolton showed touches of Slateresque brilliance, picking up a bouncing kick and exploding through the centre of the field to sprint 70 metres and score under the posts, setting up a 16-0 lead. At this early stage in the game it looked like being a busy afternoon for the scoreboard attendants. The Sharks received three consecutive penalties deep in Eden territory but strong defence denied them . Strong bursts from CC Leigh Hennessy and Billy Michelin took play downfield but the Sharks also defended stoutly until the irrepressible Tom Bell received the ball out wide and showed all his pace to leave defenders clutching in his wake, scoring Eden's fourth try.

Tom Bell leaves them all lying on the ground, while Corey Stewart gets a great view

Even though the score was mounting , to their credit the Sharks never gave up trying, and they were ultimately rewarded when Richard Bradbury powered his way over in the corner after a strong 30 m burst. The score remained at 22-4 until half time.
The second half began with Moruya scoring early after their kickoff found the in goal. With the score on 22-8 Moruya saw a glimmer of hope which was fuelled when Dane Bamblett , who was having a big game ,came off injured. The Moruya boys lifted their intensity and there was some fire in both defences as they competed for supremacy until Brad Chatfield showed his undoubted class to score. The Bolton conversion moved the score to 28-8.
With the game seemingly lost the Moruya side continued to defend stoutly and gained opportunities in attack through a string of penalties in their favour, but were continually repulsed by good Tiger defence. Leigh Hennessy was next to score a well deserved try which Bolton again converted.

Leigh Hennessy gets ready with the don't argue

Big Billy Michelin brought the crowd to its feet with a crashing run to score the next try, and then put on another huge run to take play back downfield before Mick Wykes touched down. The Baker conversion ( what can't this man do.....?) progressed the score to 46-8 and Matt Creswick completed proceedings with an intercept to sprint 80 metres and score, in the process bringing up the Tigers' half century. Final score Eden Tigers 52 Moruya Sharks 8.