Eden Tigers Brand Sun

Tigers Trump Tathra in Tough Tussle
Eden 16 Tathra 14

June 23rd 2013 by Dave Evelyn

The Great Southern Inn Eden Tigers showed real guts and determination to grind out a hard fought win over the Tathra Sea Eagles in Tathra last Sunday. The weather conditions were far from ideal with rain falling throughout the match, however both sides adjusted their game plans to the conditions with the forwards driving through the middle and looking for a good kick towards the end of their sets. Eden's Dan McKean revelled in the heavy going and was devastating in attack and defence. He was well supported by Dave Render and Connor Myles, whlie as always CC Greg Nicholson led by example taking the ball up relentlessly and tackling anything that moved.

The match started in a battle for field position with both sides completing and kicking. Tathra were perhaps unlucky not to open the scoring when they had a try disallowed after a grubber kick. Eden received four early penalties but were having trouble cracking the Tathra defence until elusive young fullback Joe Stewart ran off a perfect Nicholson ball to touch down. Matt Creswick, who was having another solid game in general play, converted the try to give the Tigers a 6-0 lead. Play resumed and the teams battled up and down the field. Tathra received three consecutive penalties but the Tigers defence was very good, however sheer weight of possession saw Tathra score with only four minutes remaining to reduce the difference to 6-4.

Captain Coach Greg Nicholson (with beard) was a happy lad after the game. Eden's Dan McKean revelled in the heavy going and was devastating in attack and defence.

With the referee about to blow half time a rare Eden handling error gave Tathra the chance to score and the home side took an 8-6 lead into the break.

Captain Coach Nicholson was happy with his team's application and urged them to continue the game plan and continue to work hard in defence. The team responded accordingly after play resumed Eden's Tony Banks made an incisive run which led to Toby Timms scoring out wide to put Eden back in the lead 10-8. The Eden side appeared to be more focussed early in the half and livewire half Tom Henderson was revelling in the heavy going and darted over for a vital try after great lead up work by Myles. Creswick's conversion gave the Tigers a 16-8 lead.

Unfortunately for the legion of Tigers fans at the game Tathra scored next when Andrew Aldridge touched down and Josh Finnucane's conversion brought the scores to 16-14 with 20 minutes remaining. What followed was an display of guts and determination from the Tigers, continually repelling the Tathra attack with desperate but effective defence. Three penalties to Tathra in the last four minutes put the tigers under enormous pressure but to the credit of every Tigers player the Eden side held on for a vital victory.

Next weekend the Tigers have a home game against Cobargo so we look forward to seeing all our fans down at George Brown oval next Sunday